Friday 29 June 2012

Past residents as children in care said this..... thought for talk 8

1. Some of my best memories I have are of that place. Especially when we broke into the Tuck Shop and  stole chocolate bars then shared them out among the others.

2.  We were like a family. The other kids were my family.

3. There is a time of my life I want rather to forget. I cant remember being in the Home. Were you at that place?

4.We called it the boys hostel, and so did my mother, so that others wouldn't know.

5. I always say that the time I spent in the Home was the best thing that ever happened to me - but  I ll tell you - I had a terrible time !!

Two changes were taking place at the same time.... one was the admission of black children and the other was the shift from the dormitory system to the Group Home system .In that time many comments were made  by past boys that reflected the difficulty they had in imagining the place to be no longer the way they remembered it.... and a lot of resentment. Here are three among many:

6.  ANONYMOUS TELEPHONE CALL   When I saw you on TV putting your arm round that black kid, I knew you had sold us out - we will find you in the street and kill you.

7. I am finishing the writing of the history of the Home with your arrival. At your arrival its history as we knew it..... finished.

8. REASSURING THE PRESENT GROUP.... don't worry in three months we'll have him out of here.

No comments:

Post a Comment