Tuesday 6 March 2012

Children said this... thoughts for talk 3

1. A group of girls aged 10 - 12 had been on a Sex Education programme in the Home. It was not long after that they were taken on a guided tour of an old museum -type building that was the women's prison.

The guide at one time in the tour said  "Sometimes the women had their babies here and.....  ....."

One girl quietly to the other girls in the group "How did they have babies if there were no men ?"

Second girl, to the group and just as quietly " They must have used a stick . "


2 A Church Youth group were taken to a Place of Detention for youth awaiting trial . (now in South Africa called a Youth Centre)
The Church Youth played Volley-ball against teams made up of boys awaiting trial.

A fight broke out ... whole teams fighting each other and the rest on the sidelines trying to join in. The Church Youth had to be ushered out to break it up and for everyones safety.

On the way out , a youth from the Centre said to me. " Bring your boys here... We'll teach them how to behave!!"



3. That same night and in the same circumstances, but before the big fight, a youth from the Detention Centre  said to me "The only difference between those guys and us is that we got caught.! The're on the outside and we're on the inside !!"


4. To me, having just arrived as the new Director " OK, so your here!. When are you going to leave??"


5 " You know nothing about running this place.... they don't even know how to cook rice here!!


6. To me, " I like you, but you have to know, I'll pretend not to when I'm with the other guys. I have to keep my friends.. you understand!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment