Tuesday 2 October 2012

Running to..... three conversations

SIPHO

You have a warm bed here, TV and you are at a good school. You get meals every day and you go to Karate lessons.
Yes

Sipho was a bright little 9 year old

Things to you look settled with your Mom right now. She has work again and lives in a one bedroom place. here is a bed for you to sleep.
Yes
It hasn't always been like that.
No.
You want to go live with your mom now.
Yes.
Let's play "what if?" What if it all goes wrong again and Mom lives under a bridge again under cardboard under a bridge?
I'll chose to be with my Mom.
What if a social worker says you should come back to this Home?
I'll choose to live with my Mom.
What if it's bread and jam and tea day after day?
My Mom.
So you know what you lose if you go now. And you know that there's a chance that it can all go wrong again. You know it can be really vary hard?
Yes. I want to be with my Mom.
And what if the Department says "No"?
I'll run away to my Mom.

MPHO

The social worker tells of the conversation.

Mpho is 16 and a big boy not doing all that well at school and nearing the end of  compulsory schooling. He did not return to the Home after the mid-year holiday break. After three days of absence and now officially an absconder .. otherwise AWOL and a "no return " at school, she visits the parental house.

I'm not coming back!

She sets out the implications and consequences.

I'm not coming back. I'm going to stay here with my Dad.
Mpho. You didn't come back because you have been lying here on your bed on your stomach for three days. Just look at your back. Your Dad beat you with a 'shambok'. ( a South African whip traditionally made from rhino hide but now mass produced in rubber. A shambok is particularly damaging).
You have at least 11 whip marks on your back. We or you should lay charges of assault against your Dad. And we can look after you if you come back
.
I'm not coming back I want to stay with my Dad. Please don't lay charges. I want to stay here..You don't understand ma'm. My Dad shamboked me because I did something wrong. It's the best thing that has ever happened to me. It's the first time ever that he has shown any interest in me, or what I do. It's the first time he has cared enough to punish me.  I believe he loves me now. Since he shamboked me . it's been different. I want to stay with my Dad. I'm not going back
.
I you force me to go back - I'll run to my house again.
I don't care.
I want to be with my Dad.


DENNIS

I just want to be with my mother.
Dennis you have run to her 52 times in six weeks. That's sometimes more than once a day.  .. and she brings you back every time..... what does that say to you? What does that tell you?

I don't care. I just want to be with her.





No comments:

Post a Comment